We’ve been hunkered down for six months due to Covid-19. Although we have wanted to have club activities, racing and social get togethers, it has not been prudent.
It also has not been prudent to have too many organized volunteer work days. The complications of physical distancing, disinfecting and sheltering in place have made it hard to completely keep up with club maintenance projects.
This fall we will start addressing the items that have gone by the wayside. We are going to make a concerted effort to attack several projects around the club, as safely as possible. This will also provide volunteer opportunities for all members.
How is this going to happen? Success of this effort requires a strong volunteer effort combined with:
Planning: Initially, we will meet with General Manager Jerry Giarla and the Committee Chairs to brainstorm the projects. A long and varied list will be prepared, which will be shared with members. The necessary materials and tools will be gathered for each project ahead of time.
Recruitment: We will use Sign-Up Genius as we have in the past. This will show what projects are contemplated, how many people are needed and an approximate action date.
Communication: We will announce when action on a project will take place and we will keep everyone up to speed on changes, rain days, etc.
With these provisions in place, our plan ought to work well.
Please keep in mind:
- We are a volunteer-driven club and you will get credit for up to 24 volunteer hours on your 2021 dues.
- This is a great opportunity for members to be involved. You will meet and work with new people and as an added benefit you will be able to be outside and get some exercise. J
- We have found three to four hours of work at a time is a good enough stretch for most. We do not plan on making these efforts full day events.
- Some projects will require a team effort and others can be done individually at whatever time is convenient for the volunteer.
- We encourage additional recommendations for maintenance projects.
- Most importantly, we really need your help. Please try to find one area that you think you can help and sign up. If you are having a hard time choosing, let me know and I can pick something for you.
I look forward to your support and participation. Stay tuned for further details.