5/18/2020

Fourth message regarding Covid-19 to our Members and their Families

As we approach mid-May the status of some scheduled events have changed.

  1. BYSC Pools opened May 18, but with some serious rules regarding self-protection, Club actions, physical distancing and all the requirements as determined by the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC). These rules are available at the Pool entrance. 
  2. The Quicksilver Regatta dinner with the Charleston Ocean Racing Association (CORA) on May 30 is CANCELLED.
  3.  June 8 is the scheduled start of BYSC Summer Camp but we are still awaiting guidance from the Governor’s Office. This may have to be rescheduled.
  4. June 15 is the scheduled start of BCSB Learn to Sail but we are awaiting guidance from the Governor’s Office. This may have to be rescheduled.
  5. The LOWCOUNTRY REGATTA, originally scheduled for June 27-28, is CANCELLED.
  6. The Not Water Festival Regatta, rescheduled from Memorial Day, is tentatively scheduled for July 18-19. It is still possible. 

5/10/2020

There are two actions by the Board and certain Committees that will be taking place in the next week.

1. The Pool Committee will be meeting this week to lay out the proper procedures for safety for the opening of our pools on Monday, May 18.

2. The Board will have a Planning Meeting on Monday, May 18, to discuss and formalize safety protocols for the opening of remainder of the Club, including Clubhouse, Deck, and Picnic Tables, Pickleball Courts, and other Club Amenities. The Club staff will be spraying much of the Club equipment with disinfectant on a daily basis and will be installing disinfect dispensers at key areas around the Club.

Some areas will continue to be off limits. Despite what the Club staff does to mitigate the hazard of the Covid-19 virus it is your responsibility to take precautions for yourself and your family.

Please contact any of the Board Members, Club Officers or General Manager Jerry Giarla with any questions or concerns you may have. Thank you for your understanding through this trying period for everyone.

Stay safe, BYSC Board of Directors.

 

4/29/2020

Third message regarding Covid-19 to our Members and their Families 

As we all try to navigate this Covid-19 problem your Board of Directors has made some decisions regarding upcoming BYSC events and facilities. Each week we learn more but at this time we still need to be prudent and responsible. As we move through May, we will address June activities based on how things are going and what our elected leaders recommend.

The following is the status of our club events, most of which have been cancelled. Keep in mind that government Covid-19 safety precautions are still recommended, especially social distancing.

1. The following MAY monthly Club events that are cancelled or rescheduled:

a. Clubhouse. CLOSED. We are not planning on antiseptically cleaning the clubhouse every day, so it just makes sense to keep the club closed. 

b. Sunset Friday’s and Bar Operations. CANCELLED is closed until further notice. You are welcome to BYOB.

c. Dinghy Spring Series and Race Committee Positions on Signup Genius. CANCELLED

d. Memorial Day Picnic is POSTPONED until a July 4th Picnic and, hopefully, celebration of the end of Covid-19 for now.

e. Water Festival Regatta will be RESCHEDULED for July 18 – 19, the actual start of the Water Festival.

f. The Charleston Ocean Racing Assn’s event for May 30 called the Quicksilver Cup, after Party and Awards, is still pending with a decision that will be made before May 15.

g. The Pool Opening is subject to the decision by DHEC and the Governor’s Executive Orders. We do not know how much notice we will get but Jerry and staff are ready.

2. Looking forward to JUNE:

a. The Summer Camp is due to start June 8. Jerry is monitoring this closely and may have to reschedule it for the last week of June to a shortened 4-week program.

b. The Lowcountry Regatta on June 27-28 is under discussion. A decision to go or no go will be made by May 15. The major concern is due to the risk to our 80-100 volunteers who participate in putting on this Regatta with the majority being in the Covid target age group.

3. The Club Facilities that can be used with common sense, social distancing, small groups, and other precautions that have been advertised and REALIZING THAT THE CLUB FACILITIES HAVE NOT BEEN SANITIZED.

a. Ramp and boat storage.

b. Boats can be used. 

c. Members can access the deck and porch.

d. Picnic areas.

e. Playground.

f. Bathhouse, but not sanitized every day.

g. Pickleball Courts are available for small groups based on the guidelines.

h. The dock and grounds are a great place to walk around or to just sit.

i. We have some volunteer jobs available around the Club if you are bored.

To our dues paying Members, we want to thank you for your patience and support. Even though the Club is basically shut down, our staff is still providing maintenance; the pool expenses go on whether it is being used or not; utilities, payroll and taxes, still have to be paid.

We have reviewed our revised Covid-19 Budget that was adjusted to show the decrease in income from various functions and events and this was matched by a corresponding decrease in expenses associated with those events. The net result is that we are still in black but at a lower level. We are in good shape thanks to you.

As we go through May we can update or reschedule June, as events dictate.

Please contact any of the Board Members, Club Officers or Jerry with any questions or concerns you may have.

Stay safe,

BYSC Board of Directors

 

3/24/2020

To our Members,

 

We are going day by day on the Covid-19 virus and are updating the Club Membership on any actions.  This is the update for April event cancellations at the Club.

 

Basically, everything has been cancelled or postponed through April.  That would include:

 

  • Flag Raising for this coming Friday.
  • All organized Pickleball.
  • All Sunset Fridays, including the bar.
  • Santa Elena Regatta scheduled for April 4-5.  This may be rescheduled for another weekend later in the year.
  • Catboat, PHRF and Dinghy Spring Series cancelled through April.
  • Rudy and Jill Sechez, ICW presentation for April 17.
  • Also, the Classic Boat Rally for May 6-8 has been cancelled.

 

Like everyone else we hope that May will be different but it’s not looking good so far.  We will send out an update near the end of April and if we get some major changes in policy.

 

One of the major activities of the Club is the pool and the usual opening by the end of April.  Whether that happens depends on several factors; weather,  DHEC policies and the general feeling on whether it is wise to do so.  Jerry will be communicating the status later in April.

 

If you have questions you can contact any Board Member, Officer or Jerry at the office.  Be safe and we’ll see you after this is over.

 

The Board of Directors

 

3/18/2020

 

Second message regarding Covid 19 to our Members and their Families:

 

This is an update to our club activity notice of cancellations and postponements. As we become more locked down and more information becomes available, we feel we need to take further steps to avoid group gatherings and close interaction.

 

The following revised schedule extends to through April or until further notice.  Highlights in blue represent new info.

 

  • Mar. 17 and beyond. Pickleball.  Scheduled play is CANCELLED.  Courts are open for casual play.
  • Mar. 18.  Open Music Jam. CANCELLED.
  • Mar. 20.  New Member Orientation.  CANCELLED.
  • Mar. 20.  Sunset Friday’s.  CANCELLED.  Bar operation is cancelled until further notice, but the Club is open for those that want to show.  This is not a Club sponsored event and you need to make your own risk assessment.  BYOB.
  • Mar. 21.  High School Regatta.  CANCELLED.
  • Mar. 21 Catboat Spring Series.  POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, NOT BEFORE MID-APRIL
  • Mar. 27.  Flag Raising and Chili Cookoff.  POSTPONED.
  • Mar. 28   PHRF Spring Series. POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, NOT BEFORE MID-APRIL.
  • Mar. 29.  Dinghy Spring Series.  POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, NOT BEFORE MID-APRIL. RC is encouraged to pick other open slots in May.
  • Apr. 4-5 Santa Elena Regatta.  POSTPONED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
  • Apr. 17   Presentation by Rudy and Jill Sechez on travelling the ICW.  CANCELLED.

 

The net result is that there are no organized activities at the Club in March or April except for the few folks who want to meet on their own with plenty of space.

 

Please contact any of the Board Members, Club Officers or Jerry with any questions or concerns you may have.

 

Stay safe and we’ll see you when the coast is clear.

 

BYSC Board of Directors.

 

03/15/2020

 

To our Members and their Families:

 

We do not want to add to the panic regarding the Covid 19 virus but with President Trump calling this a National Emergency and with recommendations from the CDC we think that the prudent thing to do is to cancel or postpone a number of our events that involve close social interaction. Therefore, we are taking the following steps for the remainder of March.  We will look at April events in a week or so when we have more information.

 

Those planning to attend activities that are limited to just a few persons or are separated by space need to decide themselves whether they want to continue or postpone.

 

  • Mar. 17 and beyond. Pickleball.  Scheduled play is CANCELLED.  Courts are open for casual play.
  • Mar. 18.  Open Music Jam. CANCELLED.
  • Mar. 20.  New Member Orientation.  CANCELLED.
  • Mar. 20.  Sunset Friday.  CANCELLED.  Bar operation is cancelled until further notice, but the club is open for those that want to show.  This is not a Club sponsored event and you need to make your own risk assessment.  BYOB.
  • Mar. 21.  High School Regatta.  Under discussion with final decision on Mar. 16.
  • Mar. 27.  Flag Raising and Chili Cookoff.  POSTPONED.
  • Mar. 28.  Catboat Spring Series.  CONTINUING AS SCHEDULED.

 

PHRF Spring Series, CONTINUING AS SCHEDULED, BUT DISCUSS AMONG YOURSELVES

 

WHETHER TO SAIL DUE TO LARGER NUMBERS OF CREW.

 

  • Mar. 29.  Dinghy Spring Series.  Under discussion due mostly to the close proximity of RC members to each other.

 

Of course, we hope that this will blow over quickly and we can return to our normal activities soon.  But, in the interim we feel that this action is warranted.

 

Please contact any of the Board Members or Jerry with and questions or concerns you may have.

 

BYSC Board of Directors.