Event Calendar - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
Water Festival Regatta
Beaufort Water Festival Regatta
May 28, 2022
(1 day regatta with a rain out day May 29)
Sponsors: Beaufort Yacht & Sailing Club (Organizing Authority) in conjunction with the Beaufort Water Festival Committee NOTICE OF RACE
1.1 The event is governed by the rules as defined in The Racing Rules of Sailing.
1.2 Life jacket and shoes are required for each sailor and shoes shall be worn while launching or retrieving your boat due to oyster shells.
1.3 All boats shall have sail numbers.
1.4 All boats shall give way to commercial traffic, such as: barges, law enforcement.
1.5 ICW 242 (across from the club) shall not be passed toward western shore.
1.6 The notation [NP] in a rule means that a boat may not protest another boat for breaking that rule. This changes RRS 60.1(a). The notation [DP] means that the penalty may be less than disqualification.
1.7 If there are Covid protocols in place they shall be followed by all competitors and visitors.
2. ELIGIBILITY. The regatta is open to monohull Catboats, Keelboats and Dinghies.
3. ENTRY: Possible classes include Catboats, Keelboats, Laser (all rigs), MC Scow, Melges 15, Y Flyer, Sunfish, Evo, 420’s, O’Pen Skiff, Optimist (15 years old & younger) and others. Catboats and Keelboats will race together but will be scored separately. Dinghies will sail in fleets if more than 3 boats entered or in a Portsmouth handicap class for all others.
4. REGISTRATION AND FEES: 4.1 All registrations shall be online at BYSCNET.COM or with payment required during Registration in the office. There will be no on-site registration the day of the regatta.
4.2 Fees: $35 per adult boat and $20 per junior boat.
4.3 By registering, all registrants agree that they will be bound by the RRS and by all other rules that govern this event.
5. SCHEDULE: Saturday, May 28 9:30 am Competitor’s Meeting for Catboats and Keelboats. 10:30 am Warning for Catboats and Keelboats. 10:30 am Competitor’s Meeting for Dinghies. 11:30 am Warning for all Dinghies. 6:00 pm approx. Awards and social. Awards furnished and presented by the Beaufort Water Festival Committee.
6. SAILING INSTRUCTIONS: The Sailing Instructions will be available online no than May 25 at BYSCNET.COM. They will also be available at Competitor’s Meeting and on the Official Notice Board located on the river side porch of the clubhouse.
7. SAILING AREA AND COURSES: 7.1 All boats will race in the Beaufort River/ICW. The starting area and course lengths depend on wind conditions and will be discussed at the Competitor’s Meetings. 7.2 Starts will either be in front of the club or at the downtown waterfront. 7.3 Catboats will race mostly downriver to a turning mark to be determined and returning unless threatening weather makes it prudent to stay between the bridges. 7.4 Both Dinghy individual fleets and Dinghy Portsmouth fleets will start in the Beaufort River between the bridges and sail our normal dinghy courses around the buoys. Courses will be described in the Sailing Instructions.
9.1 Two to three races are scheduled for the Catboats and Keelboats. Four to five races are scheduled for the dinghies.
9.2 All completed races will be scored. This changes RRS A2.1. One race must be completed to constitute a regatta.
9.3 Keelboats and Catboats will use established handicaps and be scored separately.
9. PRIZES: Trophies will be awarded depending on the number of entries in each class.
11.SOCIAL: The WATER FESTIVAL COMMITTEE, our teammate for this event, will provide beer and soft drinks after racing on both days as well as the awards.
12. DOCKING: Docking space is available at BYSC while it lasts.
13.CONTACT: Principal Race Officer: Richard Beesley (770) 335-3178,
Regatta Chairman: Frank Pontious, 843-252-4900
30 Yacht Club Drive
Beaufort, SC 29907
Races & Regattas
Registration is recommended
Payment In Full In Advance Only