About BYSCIf you need directions or behind the scenes details, this is the place.
A Beaufort Yacht and Sailing Club was organized as early as 1884, according to records found in the 100-year time capsule that was opened at the County Courthouse in 1984. It is known that the Beaufort Yacht Club was chartered on August 28, 1908. Its purpose was to sponsor sailboat racing and to serve as a social club for the local citizens. In 1929 the Beaufort Yacht Club purchased a 25-foot scow, the “Betty B,” and sponsored the first formal races in years. Since then, regattas have been held in the Beaufort River at least once a year. During the 1930s, the annual regatta was the big social event of the year.
In the 1950’s sailboat racing went through a dip in Beaufort – except for a core group of avid participants. Through their insistence, interested citizens organized the Beaufort Sailing Club in 1955 and sponsored local races. When the Beaufort Sailing Club petitioned for membership in SAYRA they were accepted, taking the place earlier held by the Beaufort Yacht Club. The city allowed the Sailing Club to build boat racks for the storage of Sailfish and Sunfish in the area now known as the Henry C. Chambers Waterfront Park. By 1964 the club had well over 100 racing sailboats registered in its membership—seven Y-Flyers, six Moths, thirty Sailfish, and eighty-five Sunfish! And its only headquarters was the parking lot.
In 1967 the Beaufort Sailing Club was selected to host the SAYRA Championship Regatta in August – without a clubhouse. In a few weeks adequate pledges were in hand to purchase a 12-acre tract on Lady’s Island, two miles below Beaufort on Meridian Road. The property included the former home of Mr. and Mrs. Irving E. Kinghorn, built about 1940.
The Beaufort Sailing Club was renamed The Beaufort Yacht & Sailing Club and became the local SAYRA organization, whose purpose was “to further sports and sportsmanship.” Over the years, the purchase of an additional 12.5 acres, the subdivision of Yacht Club Estates, and countless improvements and construction projects have led to our current acreage and facilities. The yacht club continues to evolve to best serve the needs and desires of our membership, while keeping our focus on enjoying the river and furthering the sport of sailing.
Staff DirectoryStaff and Directors
phone: (843) 252-9725